Man Of Steel has released a brand new trailer online, and you can watch it right here.
The new promo focuses on Superman’s formative years, before giving Henry Cavill plenty of opportunity to show off that billowing red cape…
- I know I’ll see this, so any criticism is probably unproductive.
- But oh hell:
- I find Zach Snyder’s style occasionally silly and pointless, and sometimes terrific.
- Unfortunately, this trailer highlights much of the silly.
- Are we to believe that a gloriously-lit shot of pencils has anything to do with the story? With young Kent’s inner anguish? I KEEP BREAKING THOSE PENCILS, MOM, I JUST WANT TO DRAW A PICTURE! WHAT WILL BECOME OF MEEEEEEE?
- Young Kent’s Costner-dad answering “Maybe” to a rather life-defining question is pretty hilarious, isn’t it? So Kent becoming Superman is his form of rebellion against the kindly man who took him in? “Screw you, dad, I’M GOING TO SAVE THE WHOLE FRIGGING WORLD THAT’LL SHOW YOU BAAAAAH-WAAAA-WAAAAAH”
- Is the hero-kneels-concentrates-explodes-upward flight-takeoff thing played out yet? It’s kind of cool here, but there’s not much tension in seeing the stones and snow tremble when you pretty much know what the payoff will be.
Anyway, this might very well be the hero film we deserve right now, if not entirely the one we need. I’ll pay to see it, big-screen, and my boys will probably be tickled pink - but some of these things make me wonder.